A 17-year-old transgender girl known as Bailey was shot to death in the 4300 block of Parkwood in Baltimore on Labor Day, according to a report posted by WMAR2 News, the ABC affiliate in Baltimore and on the Instagram account murder_ink_bmore. Residents of the area told WMAR that around 8 p.m. they heard gunshots and then heard people screaming.
The WMAR report, posted online Tuesday morning, Sept. 3, says that Bailey and her friends had just left a party when the shooting happened. A comment on the murder_ink-bmore Instagram posted said that Bailey was “just a(n) innocent bystander.”
WMAR reports said that police detectives spent several hours at the scene on Tuesday recovering evidence and interviewing people, and the murder_ink-bmore post said police have asked anyone with information to call 410-396-2100 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7lockup.
Bailey is at least the 17th trans person murdered this year. Of those 16 were trans women of color. And Houston trans activist and blogger Monica Roberts said via Twitter that she has heard reports of an as-yet un-named transgender woman found dead in a burned-out car in Clewiston, Fla.
Trans people murdered this year in the U.S. include:
- Dana Martin, 31, a black transgender woman, shot to death in Montgomery, Alabama, on Jan.y 6.
- Jazzaline Ware, a black transgender woman, found dead in her Memphis apartment in March.
- Ashanti Carmon, 27, a black transgender woman, shot to death in Prince George’s County, Md., on March 30.
- Claire Legato, 21, a black transgender woman, shot to death in Cleveland on April 15 during an argument between her mother and the suspect in her death.
- Muhlaysia Booker, 23, a black transgender woman, shot to death in Dallas on May 18, after being beaten up in an attack in March outside her apartment. Video of the attack went viral, and a man named Edward Thomas has been arrested and is awaiting trial on charges of aggravated assault. A second man, Kendrell Lavar Lyles, has been arrested and charged in her murder.
- Michelle ‘Tamika’ Washington, 40, a black transgender woman, shot to death in Philadelphia on May 19. Troy Bailey, 28, has been arrested and charged with her murder.
- Paris Cameron, 20, a black transgender woman, was among three people shot to death in a home in Detroit on May 25. Gay men Alunte Davis, 21, and Timothy Blancher, 20, were also killed in the attack. Devon Robinson, 18, has been arrested and charged with three counts of murder in connection with their deaths.
- Chynal Lindsey, 26, a black transgender woman, was found dead in White Rock Lake in East Dallas, with signs of “homicidal violence” on June 1. Ruben Alvarado, 22, has been arrested and charged with her murder.
- Chanel Scurlock, 23, a black transgender woman, was shot to death in Lumberton, N.C., on June 6. Javaras Hammonds, 20, has been arrested and charged with robbing and murdering Scurlock.
- Zoe Spears, 23, a black transgender woman, was killed in Fairmount Heights, Md., on June 13. Gerardo Thomas of Baltimore has been arrested and charged in her murder.
- Brooklyn Lindsey, 32, a black transgender woman, was shot to death in Kansas City, Mo., on June 25. Marcus Lewis, 41, has been arrested and charged in her murder. He told police he shot Lindsey after she approached him and tried to solicit him.
- Denali Berries Stuckey, 29, a black transgender woman, was shot to death in North Charleston, S.C., on July 20. Dominick Archield, 34, turned himself in to police and has been charged with her murder.
- Kiki Fantroy, 21, a black transgender woman, was shot to death in Miami on July 31. There have been no arrests that Dallas Voice can find.
- Jordan Cofer, 22, was among the nine victims killed in a mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, on Aug. 4. Cofer’s brother, Connor Betts has been identified as the shooter. He was killed by police within minutes of beginning shooting.
- Pebbles LaDime “Dime” Doe, 24, a black transgender woman, was killed in Allendale County, S.C., on Aug. 4. There have been no arrests.
- Tracy Single, 22, a black transgender woman, was shot to death in Houston on July 30. Joshua Dominic Bourgeois, 25, described as Single’s boyfriend, has been arrested and charged in her murder.
- In addition: Johana ‘Joa’ Medina, 25, died in an El Paso hospital within hours of being released from ICE custody where her severe health complications went untreated, and Layleen Cubilette-Polanco, aka Layleen Extravaganza, 27, died of complications from epilepsy in a solitary confinement cell at Riker’s Island on June 7. Cubilette-Polanco’s mother, Arecelis Polanco, has filed suit against New York City, alleging that the city’s Department of Corrections and Correctional Health Services personnel failed to provide “safe housing, adequate medical care and proper accommodation for her disabilities.”